Friday, February 26, 2016

Hapy National #FFAweek

I'm just gonna start off by saying that this week was very busy, but also a lot of fun! This week was National FFA Week and the Bellwood-Antis Chapter had many things going on to make this week fun/exciting for not only FFA members, but the whole school! A list of things we did these week ranged from:

  • Monday- FFA Trivia
  • Tuesday- Teacher Breakfast and Trivia
  • Wednesday- America Day and Trivia
  • Thursday- Dodgeball at Northern Bedford County High School
  • Friday- Middle School Recruitment

Last night was dodgeball night, Mr. Webreck, the officer team, and myself packed into Mr. Webrecks van at 6 o’clock and headed toward Northern Bedford County High School where there were 8 other FFA chapters competing to raise money for the cystic fibrosis foundation! As always, the drive was very entertaining and funny… it was a nice break from the daily routine of going back to my apartment! Bellwood lost their first game, but battled back to win the rest of their games and earn a 3rd place trophy. The team we lost to ended up taking 1st place this year! I am glad that we had the opportunity to participate!

Back to teaching, this week went well for me… I think that I am getting the attention of more and more students every week and they are beginning to listen better. I am not spending as much time raising my voice and trying to get the attention from the class…

What Went Well:

  1. National FFA week was a success and the school seemed to enjoy the activities and participated well! Every day there was a different winner of the trivia and received a $15 gift card of their choice!
  2. Gaining rapport with students- This week I seemed to finally gain some ground with a few students who did not previously give me the time of day and did not listen too well. This week things changed a little bit… It’s nice to see some improvements! 


What Needs Work:

  1. Multiple Intelligence's- I need to work on changing my teaching styles a little more often. Too many times I get caught up in having discussions with the class while they are taking notes and forget to hit on other modalities of learning. 
  2. Time Management- Although it is getting better, there is always room for improvement on this! 


I plan to keep improving on my teaching skills as well as implementing some new ideas and activities to ensure that my students, mainly my freshman class, are not getting bored! I do not want to be remembered as the boring/mean/grouchy/annoying student teacher that they had in 2016. I want to leave a good mark on these students, as many of them need a role model!

Each week I keep having more and more fun... I am glad that I chose this career path!!

Thanks,
Mike

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Mike.

    I would love to see pictures! You are also close enough for me to come visit. Let me know if there is a time you are doing something fun and I would love to see if it could fit into my schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Developing student rapport plays such an important role in and out of the classroom. National FFA Week provides so many opportunities of interacting with students outside the classroom to allow relationships to grow. I'm glad to hear you were able to make connections!

    LR

    ReplyDelete