Monday, April 18, 2016

SAE Visit #2

My second Supervised Agriculture Experience (SAE) visit of the semester was April 12. Mr. Webreck and myself went to one of our students houses where he keeps a record book on 6 chickens that he raised. The student originally got 2 chickens from the school last year during the poultry unit whenever they incubated eggs. The student then got 4 more chicks and added them to his coop. 

What I liked: 
  1. I thought that this was a simple, but good SAE for this student. He keeps track of how many eggs he gets per day and how much feed he goes through each week. The student takes very good care of his chickens, making sure they have food, water, and lets them out of their coop each day. I found it funny how the chickens followed him around the yard and let him pick them up whenever he wanted. 
  2. While I was there, I got to meet the boys father. This was a unique opportunity because it allows you to make a more personal connection with the student and the family. I embrace every opportunity that I get to know a student outside of the classroom setting; FFA events and SAEs are great opportunities to do so!
Whenever talking with the parent, it was nice to hear them talk about the great things that this SAE has led to for the student. The parent said that it really taught the student responsibility and money management skills!

Besides keeping a record book on his chickens, this student has his own DJ business! He has done weddings, school dances, birthday parties and more! I think that it is awesome that he owns his own business at just 16 years old! It truly saddens me that I did not grow up with FFA in my high school! I feel that I could have been a better citizen and a better all-around person! 

1 comment:

  1. How will you ensure every student in your future program has an opportunity to engage in an SAE? How has Mr. Webreck been able to place 100% of his students in an SAE? Things to think about.

    LR

    ReplyDelete