Monday, April 4, 2016

Easter Break and Short Weeks...

I am a little bit late on this blog, but I figured I would clump the week prior to Easter and the week after all in one blog... The week before Easter I only had 2 days in class with my students, and the week after I only had 3 days with them because of the student teaching seminar at Penn State!

Easter vacation was just the break I thought that I needed! When I came back from break, it suddenly hit me that I am almost done with student teaching... there is now less than 4 weeks of this amazing experience!

These last couple weeks have been crazy and even though they were short, they were very busy and they felt like just as much work as any other! Although a lot of work, it was very rewarding watching my students who participated in public speaking! We had 2 students move on to the second round of speaking which was held at Central High School. Although no one moved on from there, there was a lot of personal growth in each student and that is what really matters! As you can see by the picture, these students are a lot of fun and are always full of energy! Their energy is contagious!

The student teaching seminar hosted at PSU Career Services was such an awesome experience! We had 3 mock interviews by real superintendents and principles that each lasted about 20 minutes! It was an experience that felt very "real"! We received a lot of great feedback on what we did well, and what we could work on for our first real job interview! For every interview we had, one of our peers observed us and gave us feedback on what they thought we did good, and what they thought we could work on! We also discussed our post-student teaching seminar which will be held in Delaware! We will be leaving on May 1st (My Birthday)... How exciting is that?!

In the past "two" weeks, there are some things that I know need work, but there are also things that I am proud of! Here are those items:

What Needs Work: 

  • Differentiated Instruction- This one is still stumping me a little bit, especially with my Ag. Science I class.... We are working on our Wildlife unit and we are basing the unit off of the PA Game Commission articles. I have been using guided notes and worksheets to help the students find the desired information and cannot seem to get off that "kick". Although we will be done with the unit at the end of the week, I would like to try something different before it is all said and done! 


What Went Well: 

  • Classroom Management- My students are in the swing of things and they know what I expect of them... They give me respect, and I will give them the respect and effort that they deserve! 
  • Time Management- I have been doing well with getting done what I planned for... This is something that I am proud of because at the beginning of my student taching, I always expected to achieve more during a period than what was realistic... I learned to slow down and not rush things!
Until Next Time, 

Mike

1 comment:

  1. Mike, as we near the end of this experience, I want you to really reflect on how you have changed, how you have grown, and what has really impacted these areas of growth.

    LR

    ReplyDelete