Friday, February 12, 2016

Week 5 high's and low's



Ending week 5 with an in-service day sounds like a good idea, until you have to sit at the school all day… I always have big plans to get work done, like lesson plans, it just doesn’t work out as great as I think! After spending the first few hours in the library in a faculty meeting, it is almost lunch time and I am too hungry to start any work. Once lunch is over, I can finally start accomplishing work that I need to get done for the upcoming week. Here is how my week went:

The week flew by, I am not sure where it even went! It was productive and I feel that I am improving and doing some good things, but I still have things that I can work on; such as:

1.       Classroom Management- Students seem to be talking more than they should, especially in my first period class that is filled with freshman. During in-service I spent quite a bit of time re-arranging the room and creating a seating chart that will hopefully cut down on some of this talking!

2.       Time Management- I either have too much time at the end of class, or I am rushing 5 minutes of class into the last 30 seconds while trying to review the objectives and tomorrows plans for the coming days.
While keeping those 2 things on the list of things to work on, I thought that I did some things pretty good. Some of those things are:

1.       Shop Classes- I seem to get a good reaction out of my students when we are in the shop. Students are picking up welding in my freshman class pretty quickly and are all behaving well and I have not had any issues… yet.

2.       Stating Objectives: One of the main things that Dr. Rice told me to work on was stating my objectives and making them clear. I have been making sure to state my objectives and let the students know what I expect to have done by the end of class.

I have a lot to work on and I look forward to keep improving my teaching skills and learning from Mr. Webreck. He is teaching me new skills in and out of the shop, every day. I am really enjoying my time here at Bellwood-Antis High School, it has a good sense of “home”.

Thanks,

Mike

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post, Mike! I hope you were able to take away some key points from the faculty meeting. Whether it be information directly related to your current experience, or something applicable in your future program! Sounds like you are attacking your classroom management issues head on, spending time reorganizing the room and adjusting the seating charts are a great way to start.

    Keep up the good work!

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please make sure you are tweeting Mike.

    ReplyDelete