Thursday, January 21, 2016

My First Week Of Class!

Thinking back to the weekend, I was a little bit nervous to start my first week of actual teaching; I picked up the Ag. Mechanics 1 class, which is freshman during second period. Because of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, we had an in-service day on Friday, and we did not have school on Monday. This made for a 4 day weekend for the students and they came back with a LOT of energy! My first week I was teaching the safety in welding, this was something that I was very comfortable with, so it made getting into the swing of things pretty easy! I had a bit of trouble getting the students to answer my questions the first day, but it keeps getting better and better every day!

My first in-service day was not exactly what I expected it to be, when I was in high school, I thought that it was more of a "free for all" than what it actually is. The school had a meeting with the superintendent and then got together in two groups and each teacher talked about how they have integrated technology this marking period. This was right up my alley, at PSU we are always talking about ways to use technology in the classroom and I learned a lot about Google Classroom! I am excited to utilize this resource in the future and work with Mr. Webreck to integrate technology into his classes!
 
One night after school, I heard a commotion outside of the shop and realized that there was a basketball game going on. I decided to wander away from lesson plans and watch the game; I seen a lot of familiar faces from my classes and it was nice to see them in a different context! I am glad that I watched the game and plan on going to the wrestling match tonight to watch my students!

I look forward to the coming weeks and the future classes that I am going to be teaching here at Bellwood- Antis!

Thanks,
Mike

6 comments:

  1. Integrating yourself into the community by attending sporting events and other school functions is a great way for people to get to know you and for you to network!

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your handling the freshman well! What techniques have you used to get your students to answer questions? That is one thing I am really struggling with for the older students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, I just make sure I call on everyone by their name and make sure everyone raises their hand! It's simple, but it's worked for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud of you!! Sounds like everything is going well! Keep up the good work 'team':))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really like hearing you cheering on your students in different settings (ie games etc!)

    ReplyDelete