Thursday, April 21, 2016

Mock Interview @ Bellwood-Antis!

Whenever contacting Mr. Schreier at the high school, I felt pretty nervous! I'm not sure why I was nervous about it, I have talked to him often over the past 15 weeks! It was time for my interview, I went to his office, shook hands and I sat down and started answering his questions. 

Once I started answering questions, I felt comfortable answering and it felt more as a discussion than an interview. I had the very general questions asked like:
  1. Please tell us about your education and work experience. 
  2. How would you describe a successful teacher?
These questions are generic, but it gives the interviewer a good idea of what type of person, and what type of educator you are. The first question is a little bit tricky to answer because, as a student teacher, I don't have much experience as a teacher! I always try to link my job experiences back to Ag. mechanics as well as my teaching experiences. 

I got asked, " a boy in your class is struggling. He is not completing homework, is distracted in class and is demonstrating learning delays. What steps would you take to address this student". I said that I would sit the student down and figure out what was going on with his work... Figure out if he needs to find alternate work. I would also make sure that the student knew I cared and would be open to talk and discuss anything that he needed. 

Overall, I thought that I did well throughout this mock interview! I got a lot of good pointers from Mr. Schreier on how to improve my interviewing skills! One thing he said was, "I appreciate that you are not a rambler. You get right to the point, but still answer the question". I enjoyed this mock interview and one last talk with the principal before I am done student teaching here at Bellwood! 

I have a lot to work on, but the only way to get better is to practice! I look forward to interviewing for my "dream job" sometime in the future! 
Thanks! 
 
Mike Swartwood

1 comment:

  1. What was one big takeaway you learned from this experience?

    LR

    ReplyDelete