Monday, February 8, 2016

Time is flying by...

Sorry this is late, I have had it typed and forgot to submit it before the crazy weekend at ACES!

After this week, we are about 1/3 of the way done with student teaching… I don’t know how it went by so fast! It is a bitter sweet feeling to know that I am this close to graduation! The “real world” is quickly approaching me and although I am a little nervous, I am excited for the career path I have chosen and to move on with my life!
Being heavily involved with 3 classes this week was very rewarding, yet tiring! I am glad that I am picking up my classes slowly, it is making the process go smoothly! Every day holds something different as an Ag. teacher and I am very thankful because of it… I am never bored!

This week I feel that my students are starting to give me a little more respect and know what I expect of them and my classes are going smoother because of it! On Thursday, I had trouble with a student talking a lot during my second period Ag. mechanics I class and I had to call him out and have him sit in a different seat… I tried the subtle route many times with this students, it just did not work! Today, I let him sit back in his normal seat, by his friends, and we did not have any problems! I am anxious to see what the future looks like for this situation! Classroom management is something that I feel every beginning teacher struggles with, I feel that for a beginner, I am doing pretty well!

One student I have in class is very vocal and likes to ask questions in the middle of my “lecture” or discussion. To me, it throws me off a little bit but for the rest of the students, they act like it doesn’t even happen. This same students doesn’t like to pay attention and would much rather sleep, it is tiring to always be waking him up. After his nap, he will ask questions about what material was just being covered and I refuse to help him, he generally gets mad but I think he is getting the hint…

Throughout the day, I have some time to think about what and how I am going to teach classes in the future, but the majority of the time is spent helping Mr. Webreck answer student’s questions, grade papers, working with students in the shop, or doing anything else I need to get done for the rest of the week. Keeping busy during the day makes my weeks fly by!

This weekend, Mr. Webreck and I will be taking 10 students to ACES for a fun weekend in Harrisburg, PA. I will be writing a blog to review the experiences I have this weekend! I cannot wait to have yet another first time experience with Bellwood-Antis High School!

Thanks,

Mike

2 comments:

  1. The chatty Cathys are something we all deal with. That is for sure Mike! I've found it best to nip it in the butt when needed. And then continue on with instruction. See you on the 19 man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I hope that the conversation with Dr. Levin was helpful!

    ReplyDelete